On 1 May, the IEEE Board of Directors is scheduled to announce the candidates to be placed on this year’s ballot. The list will include candidates for IEEE president-elect, who are nominated by the IEEE Board of Directors, as well as nominations for delegate-elect/director-elect positions up for election, which are submitted by their respective divisional and regional nominating committees.
Also on the ballot will be nominees for members-at-large of the IEEE Standards Association board of governors; vice president–elect, IEEE Technical Activities; and president-elect and member-at-large, IEEE-USA. The IEEE Board of Directors is also responsible for placing proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot.
IEEE members who are not nominated but want to run for office may do so by submitting a petition draft to the IEEE Board of Directors, to be received at the IEEE Operations Center by 15 April. Petitions must be accompanied by the necessary number of valid voting members’ signatures, and prospective candidates must meet other requirements.
Up for Election in 2012
Chosen by all voting members
- IEEE president-elect
Chosen by members of the respective technical divisions
- IEEE Technical Activities vice president–elect
- IEEE Division I delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division III delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division V delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division VII delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division IX delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members of the respective regions
- IEEE Region 2 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 4 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 6 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 8 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 10 delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members in Regions 1–6
- IEEE-USA president-elect
- IEEE-USA member-at-large
Chosen by members of the IEEE Standards Association
- IEEE Standards Association board of governors, members-at-large
Deadlines at a Glance
Organizational units submit slates of candidates to the IEEE Board of Directors for inclusion on the annual election ballot.
Deadline for petition drafts from individual voting members who wish to circulate a petition.
The IEEE Board of Directors submits to the voting membership a list of nominees for IEEE president-elect; delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable; and other positions to be elected by voting members for the coming term. The board also announces whether it intends to put forward any constitutional amendments.
Petition nominations for candidates to be placed on the ballot must be received (by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC).
IEEE annual election ballots are sent to all voting members on record as of 30 June.
Last day for receipt of marked ballots from voting members (by noon CDT USA/17:00 UTC).