On 1 May, the IEEE Board of Directors is scheduled to announce the candidates to be placed on this year’s ballot for the annual election of officers, which begins on 15 August. Those elected take office next year.
The ballot includes IEEE president-elect candidates, who are nominated by the Board, as well as nominees for delegate-elect/director-elect openings submitted by division and region nominating committees.
IEEE members who want to run for an office but have not been nominated need to submit a petition to the IEEE Board of Directors. The petition must include the necessary number of valid voting members’ signatures, and the petitioner must meet other requirements as well. Petitions should be sent to the IEEE Corporate Governance staff, in Piscataway, N.J. The IEEE Board of Directors is also responsible for placing any proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot.
UP FOR ELECTION IN 2018
Chosen by all voting members
- IEEE president-elect
Chosen by members of all technical societies
- IEEE Technical Activities vice president-elect
Chosen by members of the respective technical division
- IEEE Division I delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division III delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division V delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division VII delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division IX delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members of the respective region
- IEEE Region 2 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 4 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 6 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 8 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 10 delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members in Regions 1–6
- IEEE-USA president-elect
Chosen by members of the IEEE Standards Association
- Standards Association board of governors members-at-large
DEADLINES AT A GLANCE
Deadline for organizational units to submit slates of candidates to the IEEE Board of Directors for inclusion on the annual election ballot.
Deadline for submitting an intention to file a petition to run for an office on the annual election ballot.
IEEE Board of Directors submits to the voting membership a list of nominees for IEEE president-elect, delegate-elect/director-elect, and other positions to be elected by voting members for the coming term. The Board also announces whether it intends to put forward any constitutional amendments.
Signed petitions nominating an individual for placement on the annual election ballot must be received by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC.
Annual election ballots are sent to all voting members on record as of 30 June. Voters also may begin accessing their ballots electronically.
Ballots must be received by 1 p.m. EDT USA/17:00 UTC.