On 1 May, the candidates to be placed on the 2011 ballot will be announced by the IEEE Board of Directors, including candidates for IEEE president-elect nominated by the board. The ballot will also include nominees for various delegate-elect and director-elect positions up for election this year, submitted by their respective regional and divisional nominating committees.
Also on the ballot will be nominees for IEEE Standards Association president-elect and Board of Governors members-at-large; vice president-elect for IEEE Technical Activities; and IEEE-USA president-elect and IEEE-USA member-at-large. The IEEE Board of Directors is also responsible for placing proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot.
IEEE members who are not nominated but wish to run for office may do so by submitting a completed petition in a letter to the IEEE Board of Directors, to be received at the IEEE Operations Center by 15 April 2011.
For members to be eligible for placement on the ballot, petitions must be accompanied by the necessary number of valid signatures of voting members. Prospective candidates must meet other requirements as well.
Deadlines at a Glance
- IEEE divisional nominating committees submit candidates for the office of divisional delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable.
- IEEE regional nominating committees submit candidates for the offices of regional delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable.
- IEEE Standards Association submits candidates for the offices of IEEE Standards Association president-elect and Board of Governors members-at-large.
- IEEE Technical Activities submits candidates for the office of IEEE Technical Activities vice president–elect.
- IEEE-USA submits candidates for the offices of IEEE-USA president-elect and IEEE-USA member-at-large.
- Deadline for drafts of petitions for candidates interested in a place on the ballot to be submitted to the IEEE Board of Directors.
- IEEE Board of Directors submits to the voting membership a list of nominees for IEEE president-elect; delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable; and other positions to be elected by voting members for the coming term.
- IEEE Board of Directors announces whether it intends to put forward any constitutional amendments.
- Petitions for constitutional amendments must be received by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC.
- Petition nominations for candidates to be placed on the ballot and voted on by the membership must be received by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC.
- Initial statements by principal initiators and opponents of constitutional amendments must be received.
- IEEE Corporate Activities must receive initial campaign statements from individuals to be nominated by petition.
- IEEE Corporate Activities mails initial statements by proponents of proposed constitutional amendments to opponents and opponents' initial statements to proponents.
- Deadline for rebuttal statements from initiators and opponents of proposed constitutional amendments.
- IEEE annual election ballots are sent to all voting members on record as of 30 June.
- Last day for receipt of marked ballots from voting members (by noon CDT USA/17:00 UTC).
- Last day for ballots to be tallied by IEEE Tellers Committee.
- Last day for announcement of vote tally to IEEE Board of Directors by IEEE Tellers Committee.
- IEEE Board of Directors acts to accept report of IEEE Tellers Committee. Annual election results are made official.
Up For Election in 2011
Chosen by all voting members
- IEEE president-elect
Chosen by members in Regions 1–6
- IEEE-USA president-elect
- IEEE-USA member-at-large
Chosen by members of the IEEE Standards Association
- IEEE Standards Association president-elect
- IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors members-at-large
Chosen by members of the respective technical divisions
- IEEE Technical Activities vice president–elect
- IEEE Division II delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division IV delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division VI delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division VIII delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division X delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members of the respective regions
- IEEE Region 1 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 3 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 5 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 7 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 9 delegate-elect/director-elect
FOR MORE INFORMATION on election procedures, contact IEEE Corporate Activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org.