On 1 May, the IEEE Board of Directors will announce the candidates to be placed on the 2010 ballot. They will include candidates for IEEE president-elect, nominated by the IEEE Board of Directors. Others will be nominees for delegate-elect/director-elect positions up for election this year submitted by their respective regional and divisional nominating committees. The ballot will also include nominees for members-at-large of the IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors; vice president–elect for IEEE Technical Activities; and IEEE-USA president-elect and IEEE-USA member-at-large. The Board of Directors is also responsible for placing proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot.
Members who are not nominated but want to run for office may do so by submitting a completed petition in a letter to the Board of Directors, to be received at IEEE by 15 April 2010.
For members to be eligible for placement on the ballot, petitions must be accompanied by the necessary number of valid voting members’ signatures. Prospective candidates must meet other requirements as well.
Deadlines at a Glance
- IEEE Divisional nominating committees submit candidates for the office of divisional delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable.
- IEEE Regional nominating committees submit candidates for the offices of regional delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable.
- IEEE Standards Association submits candidates for the offices of IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors members-at-large.
- IEEE Technical Activities submits candidates for the office of IEEE Technical Activities vice president–elect.
- IEEE-USA submits candidates for the offices of IEEE-USA president-elect and IEEE-USA member-at-large.
- Deadline for drafts of petitions to be submitted to the Board of Directors.
- Board of Directors submits to the voting membership a list of nominees for IEEE president-elect; delegate-elect/director-elect, as applicable; and other positions to be elected by voting members for the coming term.
- Board of Directors announces whether it intends to put forward any constitutional amendments.
- IEEE Corporate Activities must receive initial campaign statements from all nominated annual election candidates.
- Petitions for constitutional amendments must be received by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC.
- Petition nominations for candidates to be elected by the membership must be received by noon EDT USA/16:00 UTC.
- Initial statements by principal initiators and opponents of constitutional amendments must be received.
- Corporate Activities must receive initial campaign statements from individuals to be nominated by petition.
- Corporate Activities mails initial statements by proponents of proposed constitutional amendments to opponents and opponents’ initial statements to proponents.
- Deadline for rebuttal statements from initiators and opponents of proposed constitutional amendments.
- IEEE annual election ballots are sent to all voting members on record as of 30 June.
- Last day for receipt of ballots from voting members (by noon CDT USA/17:00 UTC).
- Last day for ballots to be tallied by IEEE Tellers Committee.
- Last day for announcement of vote tally to Board of Directors by IEEE Tellers Committee.
- Board of Directors acts to accept report of IEEE Tellers Committee. Annual election results are made official.
Up for Election in 2010
Chosen by all voting members:
- IEEE president-elect
Chosen by members in Regions 1–6:
- IEEE-USA president-elect
- IEEE-USA member-at-large
Chosen by members of the IEEE Standards Association:
- IEEE Standards Association Board of Governors members-at-large
Chosen by members of the respective technical divisions:
- IEEE Technical Activities vice president–elect
- IEEE Division I delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division III delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division V delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division VII delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Division IX delegate-elect/director-elect
Chosen by members of the respective regions:
- IEEE Region 2 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 4 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 6 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 8 delegate-elect/director-elect
- IEEE Region 10 delegate-elect/director-elect
FOR MORE INFORMATION on election procedures, contact Carrie Loh, IEEE Corporate Activities, at +1 732 562 3934, e-mail: email@example.com.