The IEEE Board of Directors established five priorities for 2011 at its February Meeting Series, held in Miami. The priorities are:
- Establish IEEE's leadership in important technical areas, including smart-grid technology and specific areas within life sciences.
- Develop a plan to ensure that IEEE is at the forefront of digital publishing technology.
- Develop a strategy for IEEE conferences that focuses on protecting the quality of IEEE conference proceedings.
- Collaborate with other associations and publishers, including investigating joint membership agreements and adding their publications to the IEEE Xplore digital library.
- Create a plan for membership development that focuses on the needs of professionals working in industry and of young professionals in areas of the world where membership is declining.