Four IEEE journals were the most frequently cited in their fields, according to the 2009 Journal Citation Reports.
Produced by Thomson Scientific, the JCRs survey more than 7500 peer-reviewed journals in about 200 disciplines. The reports assess the influence of academic journals within their field by recording the average number of times articles published in the past two years were cited in the most recent year.
The report found that IEEE Signal Processing Magazine was the No. 1 journal in the broad area of electrical and electronic engineering in terms of citations. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics was the most frequently cited journal in the field of automation and control systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering finished on top in computer science and software engineering. IEEE Robotics & Automation Magazine was rated No. 1 in the field of robotics.
The annual study also found that IEEE publishes 16 of the top 20 journals in electrical and electronics engineering—leading that category for the second year in a row. In addition, a number of other publications sit near the top in their categories. IEEE has:
- 9 of the top 10 journals in telecommunications.
- 6 of the top 10 journals in computer science—hardware and architecture.
- 3 of the top 5 journals in automation and control systems.
- 3 of the top 5 journals in computer science—software engineering.
- 2 of the top 5 journals in computer science—artificial intelligence.
- 2 of the top 5 journals in robotics.