Seven IEEE journals were the most frequently cited in their fields, according to the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, released in June.
Produced by Thomson Scientific, the JCR surveys more than 7500 peer-reviewed journals in about 200 disciplines. The reports assess the influence of academic journals within their fields by recording the average number of times articles published in the past two years were cited in the most recent year.
The report found that IEEE Signal Processing Magazine is the No. 1 journal in the broad area of electrical and electronic engineering in terms of citations. IEEE journals across several technology areas also earned high rankings. The following placed first in their respective category:
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (automation and control systems)
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (computer science–artificial intelligence)
- IBM Journal of Research and Development (computer science–hardware and architecture and software engineering). This journal is available exclusively in the IEEE Xplore digital library.
- IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics (engineering manufacturing)
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication (telecommunications)
- IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (transportation science and technology)
The annual study also found that IEEE publishes 16 of the top 20 journals in electrical and electronic engineering. In addition, a number of other publications sit near the top in their category. IEEE publishes:
- Eight of the top 10 journals in telecommunications.
- Six of the top 10 journals in computer science–hardware and architecture.
- Three of the top five journals in automation and control systems.
- Three of the top five journals in computer science–cybernetics.
- Two of the top five journals in computer science–artificial intelligence.
- Two of the top five journals in robotics.