Four IEEE journals were the most frequently cited in their fields, according to the 2007 Journal Citation Reports.
Produced by Thomson Scientific, the JCRs survey more than 7500 peer-reviewed journals in about 200 disciplines, including categories relevant to IEEE. The reports assess the influence of academic journals within their disciplines by recording the average number of times articles published in the last two years were cited in the most recent year.
Nearly a century old, Proceedings of the IEEE was rated No. 1 in the field of electricity and electronics. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging was the most frequently cited journal in the field of imaging science and photographic technology. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control came in on top in the field of automation and control systems.
The annual study also revealed that a number of other publications sit near the top in their categories. Thus IEEE has:
- Eighteen of the top 20 journals in electrical and electronic engineering
- Nine of the top 10 in telecommunications
- Six of the top 10 in computer science, hardware, and architecture
- Five of the top 20 in computer science and information systems
- Eight of the top 20 in computer science and software engineering